Monday, September 18, 2006

Three Peaks Cyclo Cross


website:here

this weekend is the 45th edition of this race.

A few details:

Organised by Bradford Racing Cycling Club and held annually on the last weekend of September the Three Peaks bills itself as the hardest cyclo cross race in the world. While other races may have comparable or even greater distances and height gain - Whernside, the tallest of the Peaks only reaches 736 metres - it is the fearsome combination of gradient, terrain and weather that give the Three Peaks it's reputation.

The race began in 1961. There were no female competitors until 1979.

There was no race in 2001 due to foot & mouth disease.


Course Changes
The original course length was 40 kilometres. In 1980 there was a new course and the race distance increased to 47 km. In 1982 and 1983 the course changed again and the race distance increased to 50 km and then 57 km respectively. The most recent course change was in 1994, and the race distance increased again, to 61 km.

The current course starts at Helwith Bridge 3km south of Horton-in-Ribblesdale and the riders tackle the peaks in the order Ingleborough then Whernside and finally Penyghent.


Rules
Despite a brief period during the 1980s and early 1990 when mountain bikes were allowed currently only cyclo cross bicycles are allowed.

Because the race takes place on footpaths and private land cycling the course at any other time of year is not allowed. This makes practice impossible.


Me, Julie and KB are the Sunday Riders entered and will be lining up at 9.30 Sunday morning. The weather forecast looks a little bit wet on the BBC website.

I have decided to go for a finish rather than race for a time,so anything under five hours will do me.

Ramon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie, KB and I! I hope your cyclo cross skills are better than your grammar.

Anonymous said...

'me' is accepted usage if preceding the list, 'I' if following it. And if reflexive then 'myself' so look out for that in the report after the race.

Didn't see you at the Merida last Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I knew that; I just wanted to make sure that you did too.

I didn't see you at the Merida either.

When are you going to invite me down to kick your arse all over the North Downs then?

Good luck for the race. I think you'll need it as you will be up against my hard northern brethren.

Anonymous said...

Some hard northern bastards up there. They all look like you and Facer!