Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Stage 1 Entracque to San Damiano


At 80km this was to be a nice introduction to Ironbike.

We started on a nice long asphalt descent for 6 km. Then a steep off-road climb which immediately had me in the 22/34 which I didn't change for the whole 8km!!

I caught Paul on the first off-road descent, which was unusual. When we hit a descent I normally don't see him again! He said he was having trouble getting used to riding a hardtail. The terrain ensured that over the next few days he relearned the ways of the hardtail:-)

On an exposed singletrack section at the top with Paul riding behind me, the helicopter suddenly appeared from behind the mountain in front of us, I think the pilot was enjoying himself in the Apocalypse Now style. He then swooped towards quite closely and as he passed the force from the rotors blew me off the bike.

Cue....Bernard Manning style jokes from Paul about me "getting blown off" as he rode past.


On the last asphalt climb to the finish I saw a group working together in front so eased up to them and we worked together for the last few km's. The approach to the town lit up by the low sun was stunning, and the church front glowed golden in it's rays.

Campo base here was in a beautiful sunny field and tea was held in the small piazza in town


Altogether a nice steady ride to introduce the Ironbike.

Ride time for me was about 6hrs.24m. Paul was 6.38

San Damiano is named after the run down church in Assisi, where St Francis(one of my favourite saints)heard the word of God from the painted cross, telling him to restore God's house. After repairing St Damiano, Francis later realised that God meant him to restore the Church as a whole:-) aww bless... Wiki

No comments: