Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Tuesday mtb

We set out a bit later today because of the minus 5 in the night was still hanging on to the morning:)

Roger arrived in brilliant sunshine at about 11 ish, it had taken him tw0 hours to ride the 15 miles that normally takes him about an hour. 

Once we were off road it was beautiful deep and soft squeaky snow. At first it was quite tricky to ride and I couldn't stay with Roger at all ( after all he'd had 2 hours more practice than me :)

Across the roughs the snow was very deep and a couple of time we had to push the bikes to a shallower bit.

Once over White Down the going got bit easier and the girly squeals lessened as the font wheels slipped less :)



From here we crossed the A25 at Abinger, then took the bridleway around the back of Shere. After a loop to Albury and back we headed into Shere for tea and toast.

Sitting at the back of the cafe were Gary and Eric! After some gossip and toast we headed back over the Roughs.


At White down me and Roger elected to ride up the road hill, while Gary and Eric carried on off road. The on road was much more difficult than off, as the snow was compressed solid. I dabbed twice, it was that slippery! Once over the top we cruised steadily down the hill until we came out into the sunshine where the ice had softened. Suddenly Roger's front wheel slipped and in slow motion he slid to the ground in front of me. I could do nothing and landed on top of him, a surprisingly soft landing! We lay in the floor tangled up like a game of twister and giggled for a while. No physical damage done maybe some ego bruising though :-)

5 comments:

stratobiker said...

Crazy guys!!! :)

hagblog said...

Is much in the way of biking happening out your way at the moment Steve?

stratobiker said...

Raymond,
I know you'll find it hard to believe, but we've been having some great biking weather lately.

I dropped an undershirt, and left my overshoes off. When I got back from Wednesdays ride it was warm enough to sit on the patio.

Events wise there's lots of VTT randos going on. Thouron last weekend was excellent, and Pageas this weekend.

Why do you ask?

SB :)

hagblog said...

For some reason I sort of got the idea that you were holed up inside against the rain :)

stratobiker said...

Raymond,
Yes, it did rain for a week, almost non stop!!! But that was a couple of weeks ago. My mum was out here last week and it was lovely.

Last couple of days have been nice, but I dot a dold, rnunny dose, and a cough!!!