Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tuesday othg ride


No Andy today, so it wasn't going to be bonkers :) We were going to (something elms),I'd never been to this cafe before. It was out toward Westerham, but avoiding every hill!

It was a nice steady ride. Four of the guys were quite happy to knock lumps off each other on the front, so I sat in and let them. :) It was feeling quite ok today just rolling along, some of the others we puffing a bit.

It was a lovely sunny day around 20' and we sat outside for coffee and teacakes. We sat too long and I had to be back for 3pm. The route back was a Gary Smith special.We took a couple of fantastic farm tracks, one of them covered in gravel. Me and one of the guys who's a ex cyclo-crosser hit it hard. I got behind him and he was flying! I've ridden gravel hard on the mountain bike with knobblies, but on road bike slicks with 100psi it was very interesting. The bike sort of floats and with no side knobs moves from side to side with each pedal turn. And once you smooth out the pedalling it steadies and and you can apply the power. It's one of those things that you learn in about five seconds or you fall off!:) As soon as I knew where I was, I lifted the pace because I needed to get back. I time trialled the next eight miles. I didn't really look back. I could hear Chris behind me,but no one came through so I just kept my head down. At the sprint for the Dorking sign there was only me and Chris left. I made it home with 15 mins to spare.

I can feel some fitness on these beautiful warm days.

No comments: