Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tuesday ride - othg

(sketch by Frank Patterson)


First othg ride for a while and I was a little bit worried that it would be too fast, because most of them were in Mallorca for a training camp a couple of weeks ago. Anyway I was in for a kicking, as I'd not done any attacking riding. Today would be one of those days because we were going to Dane Hill, which is a very hilly ride.

I didn't fancy a kicking, but I needed one :) I have the Ibiza Extreme in three weeks time and I need to learn how to suffer again. Today I suffered.

For the first hour or so I felt dreadful, nothing worked. My lungs were sore from the pollen, my legs ached and I couldn't pedal in circles.A couple of people commented on how bad I looked!
At Turner's Hill Andy kicked, and Matthew followed. I was sitting near the back, but I felt compelled to chase - sometimes I hate myself for these decisions :) I managed to bridge the gap and sat in, I was hurting but staying with them at least. After the first couple of rises Chris bridged the gap and we started working. On the last rise I came through to do my bit and stayed on the front just that bit too long and when Andy came through I just could not close the gap. They gradually pulled away from me and I couldn't do a thing about it. They made it through the traffic lights and I caught the red light - secretly, I was glad because I was stuffed :)-I could see the chasing group I waited but most of them had decided to go to a different tea stop!! Only Alan was going the same way, I thought it would be nice to give chase with Alan, But he was having a particularly bad day and couldn't stay on my wheel and I had to keep easing to let him get on. Strange, normally he's very strong.

On the way back we stayed together until Andy kicked hard on the Rusper climb. Me and Matthew jumped after him but he got a gap and just kept it the whole way to Newdigate. He is so strong Chris had joined us for the chase and we couldn't pull him back.

A good hilly 100 km in 3.5 hours. And a sound kicking for me :)

No comments: